The Atlantic Avenue station, which opened on November 5, 1888 and closed on May 31, 1940, served the elevated BMT Fifth Avenue Line. It was located at the intersection of Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush Avenue, directly above what is now the Atlantic Avenue-Pacific Street subway complex. The entrance building visible on the left side of the photo is still standing in the center of the intersection, though it is now unused.
BHS Virtual BookStore
TagsAfrican American history Architecture Archives Bedford-Stuyvesant Brooklyn Brooklyn Bridge Brooklyn Dodgers Brooklyn Heights Brooklyn Historical Society Brooklyn Navy Yard Brooklyn Past & Present Brooklyn photographs Brooklyn photos civil war Clinton Hill Coney Island Coney Island History Project Corporation Counsel Crossing Borders Bridging Generations Dodgers Education Emancipation Proclamation epbhs Flatbush Fort Greene Historic Landmark Hurricane Sandy In Our Own Words Iraq Library Map of the Month maps New York Times Oral History Oral History Highlights Park Slope Photographs photography Photography Collection Photo of the Week Portraits of Brooklyn Vietnam Veterans Prospect Park Public Perspectives Red Hook Williamsburg