Taken at the corner of Fulton Street and Lafayette Avenue, this photo shows three horses drinking out of a large fountain. The fountain was erected by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (A.S.P.C.A). On the far left is Emma Toedteberg,former librarian of the Long Island Historical Society (read more about her here), participant in the A.S.P.C.A., and namesake of BHS’s catablog.
BHS’s 1897 and 1898 city directories confirm that 63 Lafayette Avenue was occupied by Joseph Nadler, a ladies’ tailor. 65 Lafayette was occupied by William H. Fricke, a furrier, and August Kretzer, a grocer. Next door at 67 Lafayette was Theo. Eisenbiegler, a butcher. Although some embellishments have been added, the buildings appear to still be standing, as visible in this Google Street View shot. However, the tailor and furrier who once occupied the buildings are long gone, replaced by a restaurant, a real estate office, and a burger joint.