This is a publicity photograph taken for the Brooklyn Bureau of Community Services (BCS) in the early 1940s. Back then, the organization was called the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities. Since 1866, the organization has supported at-risk children and families in Brooklyn. Specifics on the children featured in this picture are unknown; they may have received aid from the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities or its constituent organization, the Brooklyn Children’s Aid Society. What is known, according to our archival records, is that this photo would have been used for internal publicity for the Brooklyn Bureau of Charities. Today, the Brooklyn Bureau of Community Services continues their mission to help children and families through programming and events. To learn more about BCS visit their website.
Interested in seeing more photos from BHS’s collection? Visit our online image gallery, which includes a selection of our images. To search our entire collection of images visit BHS’s Othmer Library Wed-Fri, 1:00-5:00 p.m.