The story of Packer Collegiate Institute reveals new insights about Brooklyn’s history and the evolution of education in the United States. Explore some of the rich resources available at BHS and beyond.
Resources on this website
- Explore the Online Image Gallery to see digitized images from the archives
- Visit the Digital Exhibit to learn about the history of Packer and education in Brooklyn and the U.S.
- Student Symposium section
Resources at BHS
- The Packer Collegiate Institute records finding aid
- Search the BHS Library Collection
- Visit the BHS Othmer Library
- Ask BHS Library Reference Staff
- Learn about BHS Education Programs
BHS archival collections relating to Packer
- Brooklyn schools collection, 1985.054 – Includes records on over seventy Brooklyn schools, dating from 1828 to 2015.
- School composition books and diaries collection, 1977.348 – Contains school composition books and diaries dating from 1849 to 1901 and belonging to various Brooklyn residents, including Maggie E. Briggs (a student at Packer Collegiate Institute).
- Jacques Cortelyou papers, ARC.025 – Includes a Report of the Treasurer of the Brooklyn Female Academy (later the Packer Collegiate Institute).
- Lillian F. Robbins certificate from the Regents of the University of the State of New York, 1977.414 – Certificate issued to Packer Collegiate Institute student in 1872.
- Blackburne, Woodward, and Ottaway family papers, 2013.006 – Includes the papers of Packer alumna Mary B. Woodward (1871-1943).
- Henry Nagel papers, 2015.004 – Includes items belong to Packer alumna Winifred Gladys Nagel Pitt, including Supplementary Reading for the Academic and Collegiate Schools booklet (1922), Class Day program (1931), the Annual Sermon to the Graduating Class (1931), clippings, photographs, and an address titled “Bender of the Twig” by school President Paul D. Schafer (1939).
- Allen J. Kone collection of Brooklyn postcards, 2016.014 – Contains Packer Collegiate Institute postcards.
For more information on Packer Collegiate Institute and its history on the web
- Packer Collegiate Institute website
- Packer Collegiate Institute history
- Packer Collegiate Institute Archives Project website
- Cullen-Dupont, Kathryn. Encyclopedia of Women’s History in America. New York: Da Capo Press, 1998.
- Furman, Robert. Brooklyn Heights: The Rise, Fall and Rebirth of America’s First Suburb. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, 2015.
- Morrone, Francis. An Architectural Guidebook to Brooklyn. Layton, Utah: Gibbs Smith, 2001.
- Nickerson, Majorie L. A Long Way Forward: The First Hundred Years of the Packer Collegiate Institute. Brooklyn, New York: Packer Collegiate Institute, 1945.
- Osborne, Greta Louise. Still Forward: Beginning the Second Century of the Packer Collegiate Institute. Brooklyn, New York: Unpublished, 1974).
- Postal, Matthew A., Ed. Guide to New York City Landmarks, 4th Edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2009.
- Solomon, Barbara Miller. In the Company of Educated Women. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1985.