Brooklyn Waterworks architectural drawings, 1889-1908

Call number: 2015.036

Extent: 3.4 linear feet in one flat box

The collection consists of fifteen drawings of the Milburn Engine House and Pumping House, the Massapequa Pumping Station, and the Keeper’s House at Lake Massapequa, dating from 1889 to 1908. These structures were part of the larger Brooklyn Waterworks system, which brought in fresh water from Long Island to Kings County in the late 19th to early 20th centuries.

Frank Freeman was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, in 1861. He arrived in New York in the early 1880s, where he studied architecture. He primarily worked in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and designed numerous buildings in the New York City metropolitan area, especially Brooklyn. He died in Montclair, New Jersey, in 1949.

View Finding Aid

Names:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.). Department of City Works.
  • Freeman, Frank, 1861-1949
  • New York (N.Y.). Department of Water Supply, Gas, and Electricity.
  • Parfitt Brothers (Firm).
  • Parfitt, Walter E., 1845-1924
  • Thayer & Wallace (Firm).

Places:

  • Baldwin (N.Y.)
  • Freeport (N.Y.)
  • Long Island (N.Y.)
  • Massapequa (N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Romanesque revival (Architecture) — New York (State) — Nassau County
  • Water-supply — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Waterworks — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Waterworks — New York (State) — Nassau County

Types of materials:

  • Architectural drawings

If you'd like to make an appointment to use this collection, or have a question, please fill out our online form.