Bushwick Dutch Reformed Church records, 1713 – 1817

Call Number: 1977.419

Extent: 0.03 Linear feet, in one folder.

This collection includes handwritten receipts and bills for work or services provided for the Bushwick Dutch Reformed Church, dating from 1713 to 1817. Documents are in English and Dutch.

The Bushwick Dutch Reformed Church, commonly known as the Old Bushwick Reformed Church, was organized in 1654 in the Dutch settlement of Bushwick (or Boswyck), one of the six original towns in what would later become known as Kings County. Located at the corner of Conselyea and Humboldt Streets, the Church’s second structure was erected circa 1711, and its third in 1829. The Church was part of a collegiate comprised of Dutch Reformed churches in five of the six original towns of Kings County, including Brooklyn, Bushwick, Flatbush, Flatlands, and New Utrecht, as well as the town of Jamaica in Queens County. The Church’s services were alternately administered every third Sunday by the pastors of the collegiate. Notable 18th- and 19th-century pastors at the church included Martinus Schoonmaker, Peter Lowe, Stephen H. Meeker, and Henry A. Powell. The church was demolished in the early 20th century.

Names:

  • Old Bushwick Reformed Church (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.) — Religious life and customs

Subjects:

  • Church finance — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Protestants — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Reformed church buildings — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Reformed Church — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Religious institutions — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of material:

  • Bills of exchange
  • Church records
  • Receipts (financial records)

View Finding Aid

If you'd like to make an appointment to use this collection, or have a question, please fill out our online form.