Lutheran Hospital of Brooklyn collection, 1881 – 1978

Call Number: 2006.032

Extent: 0.84 Linear feet, in two manuscript boxes

The Luthern Hospital of Brooklyn collection spans the period 1881 to 1978 and measures 0.82 linear feet. The collection contains newsletters, newspaper clippings concerning the hospital, fundraising seals, and other printed ephemera. The bulk of the collection consists of over 200 black and white photographs of the hospital, its patients, and its staff. A large portion of the photos date from the 1950s and depict hospital patients, staff and board members, and events held at the hospital. Also included are photographs depicting the construction of a new hospital building in 1927.

The Lutheran Hospital of Brooklyn was founded in 1881 and was located at 22 Junius Street in the East New York neighborhood of Brooklyn. The hospital closed its doors in 1978 and its buildings were razed during the 1980’s.

Names:

  • Lutheran Hospital (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Hospitals — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Lutherans — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of material:

  • Black-and-white prints (photographs)
  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Newsletters
  • Photographs
  • Printed ephemera

View Finding Aid

If you'd like to make an appointment to use this collection, or have a question, please fill out our online form.