Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island Real Estate Brochure collection, circa 1920s-1950s

Call number: ARC.296

Extent: 9.0 linear feet in nine record cartons

This collection primarily features advertisements for real estate in Brooklyn, Queens, and Long Island. In addition to advertisements, the collection includes a number of blueprint maps. The collection is organized by region and neighborhood. A hard copy index is available with exact street addresses of the buildings included in the collection, along with an additional index of architects found in the collection.

View Finding Aid

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • Long Island (N.Y.)
  • Queens (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Real estate business — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Real estate business — New York (State) — Nassau County
  • Real estate business — New York (State) — Queens County
  • Real estate business — New York (State) — Suffolk County
  • Real property — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Real property — New York (State) — Long Island
  • Real property — New York (State) — Queens County

Types of Materials:

  • Advertisements
  • Blueprints (reprographic copies)
  • Brochures

E. Vale Blake papers, 1880-1901

Call number: 1977.050

Extent: 0.75 linear feet in one oversize manuscript box

The collection includes short essays on folklore in New England and miscellaneous notes and news clippings on folklore. Also included are also two manuscripts on Royal Families and heraldry and a typescript manuscript titled “Shakespeare Index of Six Thousand Quotation Lines.” Euphemia Vale Blake was a Brooklyn author who wrote under the name E. Vale Blake.

Euphemia Vale Blake was born in Hastings, England, in 1824. She immigrated to the United States with her father, Prof. Gilbert Vale, when she was six years old. In 1844, she married Dr. Mayo Gerrish Smith and moved to Newburyport, Massachusetts, where she began her literary career. The couple divorced by 1856, when Blake remarried and relocated to Brooklyn, New York. She continued to write in Brooklyn, where her work was published in various newspapers and magazines under the name E. Vale Blake. She published a history of Tammany Hall in 1901. Blake died in 1904 and is buried in Green-Wood Cemetery.

View Finding Aid

Names:

  • Blake, E. Vale, (Euphemia Vale), 1817-1904
  • Lowell, Sidney V., 1844-1931
  • Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • New England

Subjects:

  • Authors and publishers — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Authors, American — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Folklore — New England
  • Royal houses
  • Women authors, American — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of Materials:

  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Manuscripts (document genre)
  • Typescripts

Brooklyn Dodgers collection, 1884-2002

Call number: ARC.297

Extent: 5.75 linear feet in five manuscript boxes, two oversize flat boxes, and one flat file drawer

The collection contains scorecards, programs, yearbooks, magazines, clippings, scrapbooks, posters, and other items related to the Brooklyn Dodgers, dating from 1884 to 2002. It also includes a small amount of items related to the Los Angeles Dodgers. Of note are several late 19th century Brooklyn baseball scorecards.

View Finding Aid

Names:

  • Brooklyn Dodgers (Baseball team).
  • Los Angeles Dodgers (Baseball team).
  • Major League Baseball (Organization).
  • O’Malley, Walter F., (Walter Francis), 1903-1979
  • Robinson, Jackie, 1919-1972

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Baseball fans — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Baseball — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Ebbets Field (New York, N.Y.)

Types of Materials: 

  • Admission tickets
  • Baseball cards
  • Calendars
  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Ephemera
  • Magazines (periodicals)
  • Memorabilia
  • Newsletters
  • Posters
  • Printed ephemera
  • Scrapbooks
  • Sound recordings
  • Souvenir programs
  • Yearbooks

Brooklyn roads records, 1825-1883

Call number: 1977.337

Extent: 0.75 linear feet in one oversize manuscript box

The collection includes petitions, surveys, contracts, maps, and notices for assessment for 91 streets in Brooklyn, including seven in the neighborhood of Williamsburg.

View Finding Aid

Names:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.). Common Council.
  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.).

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.).

Subjects:

  • Ferries — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Roads — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Streets — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Tax assessment — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of Materials:

  • Contracts
  • Legal documents
  • Maps
  • Petitions

Brooklyn Home for Aged Men records, 1844-2011

Call number: 2012.002

Extent: 8 linear feet in 16 manuscript boxes and 42.8 MB of digital files

The Brooklyn Home for Aged Men was founded by a group of wealthy Brooklyn women as a charitable foundation to provide housing and care for impoverished elderly men in 1877. It was officially incorporated on February 27, 1878. The organization then secured temporary housing on Grand Avenue, before finding its first permanent residence at 84 State Street. That house was filled to capacity by 1880. By September 1886, property was acquired and ground was broken for a new residence home at 745 Classon Avenue. Residents were moved from the State Street home to Classon Avenue in May 1887. In 1893, a home on Park Place was acquired and joined to the organization’s main building. In 1894, the Board of Managers decided to allow couples to be admitted to the Home, the first of which arrived in 1895. Later, single women would also be allowed to reside in the Home. Additional buildings and medical facilities were constructed throughout the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The Home ceased operation as a residence in 1969, largely as a result of increased regulation of elderly care facilities. Current residents were transferred to other facilities. The Home’s assets were sold, including real estate property (to the Interfaith Medical Center) and works of art. Funds from the sales were invested and are now used to support other elderly care facilities. The organization also provides scholarships for nursing students, and supports medical research.

The Brooklyn Home for Aged Men records date from 1842 to 2011. The bulk of the records document the affairs of the Home from its incorporation in 1878, until the closing of its residence homes in 1969. Later records document the organization’s continued charitable efforts after closing its residences. The collection includes administrative records, financial records, legal documents, resident files, Board meeting minutes, photographs (prints, negatives, and digital images), and memorabilia.

The Resident files series contains personal medical information. As per regulations defined by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), “individually identifiable health information of a person who has been deceased for more than 50 years is not protected health information under the Privacy Rule.” To protect this information, files from this series will remain closed until 2050. Access to the records may be obtained prior to 2050 with the authorization from the decedent’s executor, administrator, or other person who has authority under applicable law to act on behalf of the decedent or the decedent’s estate.

All other records are open to researchers without restriction.

View Finding Aid

Names:

  • Brooklyn Home for Aged Men and Couples.
  • Brooklyn Home for Aged Men.
  • Munson, Nancy K., 1936-2009
  • Tiffany and Company.

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Art — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Auctions — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Cemeteries — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Cemeteries — New York (State) — Queens County
  • Charities — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Decedents’ estates — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Group homes for older people — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Older people — Care — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Older people — Services for — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Real property — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Retirement communities — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of materials:

  • Administrative records
  • Certificates of incorporation
  • Clippings (information artifacts)
  • Correspondence
  • Deeds
  • Digital Photographs
  • Ephemera
  • Financial records
  • Financial statements
  • Maps
  • Memorabilia
  • Microfilms
  • Minutes
  • Mortgages
  • Negatives (photographic)
  • Newsletters
  • Photographs
  • Posters
  • Stock certificates
  • Tax records
  • Wills

Brooklyn, N.Y., Department of Law, Corporation Counsel records, 1843-1920

Call Number: 2013.015

Extent: 118 Linear feet, in 235 manuscript boxes, 4 flat boxes, 1 flat file drawer, and 1 oversize
shelf.

The collection consists of the records of the office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of Brooklyn and, following the 1898 consolidation of the Greater City of New York, the records of the Brooklyn office of the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York. The bulk of the collection comprises legal documents related to complaints filed against the city. The Corporation Counsel was also responsible for overseeing the opening of city streets and the collection includes a series of records related to these matters.

On the whole, the collection documents the activities of the Brooklyn Corporation Counsel, as well as the day-to-day legal issues that the citizens of Brooklyn faced in the 19th and early 20th centuries. It also documents the rapid expansion of Brooklyn’s infrastructure, especially its streets and water supply. The Brooklyn, N.Y., Department of Law, Corporation Counsel records collection spans the years 1843 to 1920 (bulk dates 1894 to 1905).

The charter for the City of Brooklyn that consolidated the Village of Brooklyn with the Town of Brooklyn was approved in 1834. The charter established the city’s municipal government which consisted of a mayor and a common council. The common council was granted the power to appoint various positions, including a separate Attorney and Counsel. These positions were typically occupied by a single appointee, except from 1847 to 1850 when they were held by two separate appointees. The 1873 charter of the City of Brooklyn established a single Attorney and Counsel as head of the city’s Law Department. The charter specified that the Attorney and Counsel would serve as chief legal advisor for the mayor, the common council, and the various city departments established over the years. The Attorney and Counsel was also charged with managing the proceedings necessary for opening, closing, or otherwise improving city streets. By 1885, the position title was changed from Attorney and Counsel to Corporation Counsel. In 1898, the City of Brooklyn was consolidated into the Greater City of New York. The Brooklyn office of the Corporation Counsel subsequently reported to the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York and was headed by an Assistant Corporation Counsel. The Brooklyn office handled all legal matters that affected the Borough of Brooklyn and Kings County.

View Full Finding Aid

Records relating to specific locations can be browsed in the map above. If you are interested in viewing the contents of any particular file, please make a research appointment using this form.

A spreadsheet containing the GIS metadata associated with the collection is available to researchers.

A spreadsheet which is sorted by the neighborhood associated with a particular file is also available for download.

Below is an abbreviated list of subject headings associated with this collection, please see the collection’s finding aid for a complete list of headings.

Names:

  • Atlantic Avenue Railroad Company.
  • Bell, James D., 1845-1919
  • Brooklyn City Railroad Co. (New York, N.Y.).
  • Brooklyn Elevated Railroad Company.
  • Brooklyn Heights Railroad Company.
  • Burr, J. Arthur, (Joseph Arthur)
  • Carr, William J., 1862-1917
  • Chittenden, R. Percy, 1866-
  • Church of the Redeemer (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
  • Coler, Bird Sim, 1867-1941
  • Coney Island and Brooklyn Railroad Company.
  • Dalton, William
  • DeWitt, William C.
  • Edison Electric Illuminating Company of Brooklyn.
  • Ellison, William B.
  • Feitner, Thomas L., 1847-1929
  • Flatbush Gas Company.
  • Greenwood, Richard B.
  • Grout, Edward M., 1861-
  • Jenks, Almet Francis, 1853-1924
  • Keating, James P., 1849?-1919
  • Kings County Gas and Illuminating Company.
  • Long Island Railroad Company.
  • Long Island Water Supply Company.
  • McDonald, Albert G.
  • Mudge, Alfred E.
  • Nassau Electric Railroad Company.
  • Rives, George Lockhart, 1849-1917
  • Scannell, John J., 1841-1918
  • Simis, Adolph, Jr.
  • Stapleton, Luke D., 1869-1923
  • Swanstrom, J. Edward, 1853-
  • Taylor, John A., 1844-
  • Title Guarantee and Trust Company (New York, N.Y.).
  • Watson, Archibald R.
  • Whalen, John, 1854-1926
  • White, Alfred Tredway, 1846-1921
  • Whitney, D. D., Jr.

Places:

  • Bay Ridge (New York, N.Y)
  • Bedford-Stuyvesant (New York, N.Y.)
  • Boerum Hill (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brooklyn Bridge (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brooklyn Heights (New York, N.Y.)
  • Brownsville (New York, N.Y.)
  • Bushwick (New York, N.Y.)
  • Carroll Gardens (New York, N.Y.)
  • Clinton Hill (New York, N.Y.)
  • Cobble Hill (New York, N.Y.)
  • Coney Island (New York, N.Y.)
  • Crown Heights (New York, N.Y.)
  • Cypress Hills (New York, N.Y.)
  • Downtown Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
  • DUMBO (New York, N.Y.)
  • East New York (New York, N.Y.)
  • East River (N.Y.)
  • Flatbush (New York, N.Y.)
  • Fort Greene (New York, N.Y.)
  • Gowanus (New York, N.Y.)
  • Gravesend (New York, N.Y.)
  • Greenpoint (New York, N.Y.)
  • Hempstead (N.Y.)
  • Jamaica (New York, N.Y.)
  • Kings County (N.Y.)
  • Long Island City (New York, N.Y.)
  • Nassau County (N.Y.)
  • Park Slope (New York, N.Y.)
  • Prospect Heights (New York, N.Y.)
  • Prospect Lefferts Gardens (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.)
  • Prospect Park (New York, N.Y.)
  • Queens (New York, N.Y.)
  • Red Hook (New York, N.Y.)
  • Sheepshead Bay (New York, N.Y.)
  • Staten Island (New York, N.Y.)
  • Sunset Park (New York, N.Y.)
  • Williamsburg (New York, N.Y.)
  • Windsor Terrace (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Acquisition of property — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Acquisition of property — New York (State) — Nassau County
  • Actions and defenses — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Athletic clubs — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Breweries — New York (State) — Kings County
  • City attorneys — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Civil Service — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Courts — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Elections — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Local elections — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Municipal government — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Navy-yards and naval stations — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Railroads — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Railroads, Elevated — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Real property — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Real property — New York (State) — Long Island
  • Real property — New York (State) — Queens County
  • Roads — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Streets — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Tax assessment — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Taxation — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Wages — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Wages — New York (State) — New York
  • Water rights — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Water-supply — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Waterfronts — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of material:

  • Black-and-white prints (photographs)
  • Blueprints (reprographic copies)
  • Bonds (legal records)
  • Business cards
  • Contracts
  • Correspondence
  • Court records
  • Deeds
  • Judicial records
  • Leases
  • Legal documents
  • Legislative acts
  • Licenses
  • Maps
  • Mortgages
  • Notes
  • Payroll records
  • Photographs
  • Public records
  • Summonses
  • Tax records
  • Wills

View Full Finding Aid

Beekman House lithographs, 1861

Call number: V1997.046

Extent: .01 linear feet, in one folder

2 lithographs of the interior of the Beekman House, by Sarony, Major & Knapp, 1860. Published in D.T. Valentine’s Manual, 1861.

The Beekman House, also known as Mount Pleasant, was built by James Beekman in 1765. It was occupied by the British during the American Revolutionary War, and it was visited by George Washington during his presidency. It was torn down in 1875. The building was located in Manhattan, near the East River (present day East 50th Street and Beekman Place).

Names:

  • Sarony, Major & Knapp Lith.

Places:

  • Manhattan (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Buildings — New York (State) — New York

Types of Materials:

  • Interior views
  • Lithographs

View Finding Aid

Dudley Buck portraits, circa 1900

Call Number: V1997.023

Extent: .01 linear feet, in one folder

Two portraits of composer-organist Dudley Buck, circa 1900. Both portraits are mounted on board. One is autographed by Buck.

Dudley Buck was born in Hartford, Connecticut, on March 19, 1839. He served as a church organist and touring concert organist for many years. In 1875, he moved to New York. Two years later, Buck assumed the position of organist/choirmaster at Brooklyn’s Church of the Holy Trinity. In the same year, he began his tenure as founding director of the Brooklyn Apollo Club’s male chorus. In 1898, Buck was honored by election to the National Institute of Arts and Letters. Eleven years later, on October 6, 1909, the composer died at the age of 70.

— from the Library of Congress Performing Arts Encyclopedia

Names:

  • Apollo Club of Brooklyn (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
  • Buck, Dudley, 1839-1909
  • Church of the Holy Trinity (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).

Subjects:

  • Composers — New York (State) — Kings County
  • Organists — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of Materials:

  • Photographs
  • Portraits

View Finding Aid

Brooklyn Society of Artists records, 1941-1965

Call number: 1997.080

Extent: 0.5 linear feet, in one manuscript box

The records consist of correspondence, administrative files, membership lists, and exhibition records, dating from 1941 to 1965. The records include the files of two of the society’s presidents, Mary Kellner and Nancy Ranson.

The Brooklyn Society of Artists was founded in 1917. According to The History of the American Society of Contemporary Artists, by Frank Mann and Charles Keller, “charter members were committed to creating an exhibiting organization dedicated to the broadening of opportunity for artists to display their work.” While membership in the society was originally limited to arists living or working in the borough of Brooklyn, its constitution was amended in 1919 to extend membership to artists living in the greater New York area. Its first exhibition was held in 1919 at Brooklyn’s Pouch Gallery. Later exhibition venues included Abraham and Straus, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn Academy of Music, Riverside Museum, and the Lever House. By the 1950s, the society was curating traveling exhibitions and issuing scholarships. In 1963, the society officially changed its name to the American Society of Contemporary Artists (ASCA).

Names:

  • Abraham & Straus.
  • Brooklyn Museum.
  • Kellner, Mary
  • Losey, Elizabeth
  • Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims (Brooklyn, New York, N.Y.).
  • Ranson, Nancy Sussman, 1905-1993
  • Riverside Museum (New York, N.Y.).
  • Union Dime Savings Bank.

Places:

  • Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)

Subjects:

  • Art — Exhibitions
  • Art — Societies, etc.
  • Art — New York (State) — Kings County

Types of Material:

  • Administrative records
  • Correspondence
  • Programs (documents)

View Finding Aid

Brooklyn School of Inquiry Oral History

Brooklyn School of Inquiry Oral History, 2010 – present.

Extent: 400 digital audio files (and growing)

2011.009

Brooklyn School of Inquiry Oral History is an ongoing oral history collection featuring interviews with elementary-school age children who attend a new school in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn.  In 2010, BHS partnered with Brooklyn School of Inquiry (PS/IS686), a public citywide Gifted and Talented school founded in 2009, to document its growth.

This collection currently contains over 400 interviews and each year, 140-200 more are added. BHS interviews every new First Grader and BHS has been following the first First Grade class longitudinally since 2010. All interviews are recorded in digital audio format and digital video format and archived at both institutions.

Read more about the project here: A School Grows in Brooklyn.

To protect the students’ privacy, the collection is closed to researchers until the students are 18 years old (2022 for the oldest class) and the students agree at that time to make their interviews publicly accessible.

Permission to use the oral histories other than for private study, scholarship, or research requires the permission of both Brooklyn Historical Society and the narrator. For assistance, please consult library staff at library@brooklynhistory.org.